Tuesday, August 21, 2012

I wanna be a Derby Girl

I've been looking around for new types of activities/exorcise to keep me motivated. Before my surgery I heard about an organization I wanted to try, but I new I wouldn't be able to make most of the classes do to recovery. Yesterday I just happened to check and see if they were starting a new session and low and behold they were having an information session that night, so I went and had a blast!

So what is this great organization you may be asking...Derby Lite



From their website:
Derby Lite is Roller Skating for Fun & Fitness. Our certified instructors lead high energy classes for beginner, intermediate and advanced skaters where ladies become healthier humans - physically and mentally - as they learn to skate a la roller derby without the impact or competition. Each 90-minute to two hour workout includes off-skates dynamic warm-ups, on-skates skills and drills, upper body strength exercises and cool-down stretching. It's a balanced, whole body workout that's never boring, shows progress week after week, and brings you into a welcoming community of women like no other. Are you ready?


I had so much fun, even though I fell on my ass a couple of times. I haven't been on skates in a long time. Last time on Rollerblades was more than 15 years, and quad skates I haven't been on since Junior High.

I didn't feel embarrassed, or out of place. The girls were great, and so encouraging. They made me feel welcome. I'm so sore this morning, especially my butt! I can't wait to go back.

Classes are once a week for 12 weeks, 90 minutes each. I think it's going to be an awesome workout. the classes themselves aren't expensive, but the gear I'm going to need is a little pricey. Skates, helmet, wrist, elbow and knee pads, and I don't want to skimp on the padding ;)

Now I just need to come up with a cool Derby name. Any suggestions?

2 comments: